What is the Sports Premium?
Government – Primary School Sports Funding
The £150 million per annum of funding for primary school sport has now been secured until 2021 by the current Government. This funding has been jointly provided by the Department for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and will see money going directly to primary school headteachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all of their children.
The sport funding can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools.
Schools with 17 or more eligible pupils receive £16,000 and an additional payment of £10 per pupil.
Purpose of Funding
Schools will have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses for the funding include:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching PE
- New or additional Change4Life sport clubs
- Paying for professional development opportunities in PE/sport
- Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE/sport
- Running sport competitions, or increasing participation in the school games
- Buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE/sport
- Providing places for pupils on after school sport clubs and holiday clubs.
Under the current Government the funding will be paid each academic year until 2020.